Wednesday, July 15, 2009

UFC 100 Aftermath!! What a night!

UFC 100 has come and gone! I was impressed with all the fights, except the lackluster main event which left me feeling a bit let down. My predictions for the Jon Fitch vs Paulo Thiago fight and the GSP vs Thiago Alves fight were almost correct…they won by decision like I said they would but by unanimous decision, not split! However Dan Henderson beat Bisping by KO and not submission like I predicted and Brock Lesnar beat Frank Mir by TKO! Not too shabby, like I said in my very first post, I’m not a professional!! This is just for fun and giving people my perspective of MMA. If you enjoy it then great! If you don’t…that’s great too! I love hearing other people’s opinions and thoughts. That is what makes the world go around, a whole lot of different ideas and theories!

Lets begin now with my analysis of UFC 100 beginning with the Yoshihiro “Sexyama” Akiyama vs Alan Belcher. I was looking forward to this fight because I’ve never seen these two guys fight before! Akiyama is huge in Japan, a really big star over there and is on a winning streak!! It was going to be interesting to see if his fighting style would transition well in the UFC. Alan Belcher looked good at first but he seemed to get really sloppy with his strikes in round two and three. Akiyama ended up winning by split decision and people were booing him and saying Belcher got robbed…even Joe Rogan commented during the judges announcement that Belcher got robbed! After re-watching that fight, I have to say that I’m siding with the judges…Belcher won round one but Akiyama did win the other two and deserved that win. Akiyama didn’t totally impress me but neither did Belcher…it was a good fight to start off UFC 100 though!

Dan Henderson vs Michael Bisping was a great fight with a highlight reel knockout!! I predicted that Hendo would submit Bisping…I caught A LOT! of heat for that but you know what, it could have happened! Bisping did try a half ass takedown attempt, which Hendo just brushed off and smiled. Hendo wanted to keep it standing and beat Bisping up a little to shut his mouth….I’m not a big Bisping fan…I respect him as a fighter but I think the guy can be a little too cocky most of the time. Bisping just kept circling toward that big right hand of Henderson and sooner or later it was going to happen! POW! Huge right hand to Bisping’s jaw!! Bisping’s head torqued around so hard and fast, that I thought it was going to fly off! Bisping fell flat on his back, head bounced off the canvas then Hendo went in for the kill!!…Hendo jumped off his feet and came crashing down with an elbow right on Bisping’s jaw! It was brutal!! Some people have screamed that this was unprofessional and barbaric of Dan Henderson but the golden rule of MMA is never stop until the ref pulls you away!! You never want there to be a question about the stoppage or give Bisping time to recover. In my opinion that was a totally justified strike and Hendo now deserves a title shot with three straight wins, against tough opponents. Maybe Bisping will learn to not talk so much trash about his opponents in the future…what’s next for Bisping?? Will the UFC immediately throw him against stiff competition or will they try and build him back up again? Put him in against some middle tier fighters? You might not hear too much from Bisping after that ass whooping he took…I bet dude is hurting…maybe even facial damage!

George St. Pierre vs Thiago Alves was a classic example of wrestling and takedowns….Alves had no answer for GSP’s takedowns. Every time Alves tried to go on the offense, GSP would stuff it and take his ass to the mat again! From there commence to ground and pound “The Pitbulls” face into hamburger meat. Alves was from what many were saying going to be GSP’s biggest challenge yet! Alves is a monster among men! He is only 25 years old and has a bright future ahead of him, he’ll be back into contention soon but hopefully he works on some takedown defense! GSP just seemed to be able to take him down at will. I must add that GSP is one tough SOB!! He tore a groin muscle in the third round of that fight and still was able to secure the victory in a five round war! At least Alves took it like a man and acknowledged that he was beaten by a better fighter by raising GSP’s hand at the end of the fight. Does this fight solidify GSP’s pure dominance?? What’s next for GSP?? I know Mike Swick vs Martin Kampmann is scheduled and the winner gets GSP but I think GSP will make short work out of either of these two! Is there a possible super fight on the horizon between GSP and Anderson Silva?? This would be a great fight but also kind of a miss match in my opinion. Anderson Silva is way bigger than GSP! Silva cuts weight to make 185 lbs! GSP would have to gain quite a bit of weight to get on that level…might be a little unfair?? Jon Fitch is on his way back up…I wouldn’t mind seeing Jon Fitch get a rematch against GSP and try to avenge the beating that he was handed to him by GSP haha! I think that there are plenty others fighters in GSP’s division that need to be considered before they start creating these super fights…just a thought!

The big fight between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir was next!! I was watching UFC 100 at a friend’s house and I’ll have to admit we were both amped for this fight!! There was so much promotion and trash talking back and forth between Mir and Lesnar, not to mention that Mir had already beaten Brock by submission in their first fight! This had the makings of a great fight!! Boy was I wrong!….Round one saw a little bit of striking with Lesnar eventually taking Frank Mir down and keeping him there for the entire round while he beat Mir’s face into pulp…Mir kept signaling to his corner that he was ok but those big hands of Brock Lesnar were doing some damage! When round two began I thought Mir would try to stand and bang with Brock…I mean that was pretty much his only hope in my opinion! In the few brief moments they were on their feet, Mir seemed to get the better of Lesnar…Mir landed a knee to Lesnar’s face that seemed to hurt Lesnar but then Lesnar took Mir down to the mat once again!! I couldn’t imagine having that big, crazy, giant on top of you!! Mir tried to escape but it was no use…Lesnar got him against the cage and started his ground and pound beating of Mir’s face, the ref stopped this fight and Brock Lesnar won by TKO and still remained UFC heavyweight champion! When the fight was over Lesnar went into a psychotic rage, getting in Frank Mir’s face and saying “talk all the shit you want now!”…then when being interviewed by Joe Rogan dissed one of UFC’s major sponsors Bud Light by saying he was going to drink Coors because Bud Light didn’t pay him anything, he also flicked off the entire crowd that was booing him. I’m sorry but that is WWE bullshit! There is no need for things like that in MMA…MMA is such a pure and respected sport and for some meathead like Lesnar to come in and give it a bad name is disgusting! I understand trying to create drama to sell tickets and get people interested but come on! I for one can’t wait to see someone test Brock’s chin! Possibly the winner of Cain Velasquez and Shane Carwin??

The final fight was Jon Fitch and Paulo Thiago…for whatever reason (I couldn’t find out why) this fight was after Lesnar and Mir. I enjoyed this fight a lot!! Very technical matchup…it was back and forth with takedowns and submission attempts. There were a couple times I thought Fitch might be done when Thiago got him in some guillotine choke attempts but Fitch muscled his way out and regained position. Fitch won this fight by decision and hopefully is on his way to another title shot in the future.

Other random thoughts from the night…did anybody catch when they would show Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan? I know Joe Rogan likes his herbal medication, if you know what I mean haha! Dude looked stoned out of his mind sometimes! They would show him and his eyes would be almost bugging out! I was laughing to myself when they would show him. Also Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans got into a little argument and pushing match at ringside…is this for real or is the UFC just trying to create fake drama to sell tickets and pay per views?? There were a lot of shots of Shogun Rua at ringside…Lyoto Machida is going to destroy him! I really don’t think Shogun has a chance in hell against the dragon!

I didn’t get to see the preliminary fights but I heard Mark Coleman beat Stephan Bonnar by decision and Tom Lawlor beat C.B. Dolloway by submission, which surprised me! That was a huge loss for C.B. Dollaway, he is probably dangerously close to being cut by the UFC! Speaking of being cut! I heard Mac Danzig donated a gallon of blood to the UFC blood bank haha! That would explain why the mat looked like a slaughter house floor when the live show started…my friend and I were wondering if they forgot to clean the mat or were using an old one or something haha! Forgot about the preliminary fights. Overall I really enjoyed UFC 100, Dana put together a great fight card! Probably the best card in awhile. I’m looking forward to August 8th now! Can’t wait for Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin and BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian…both should be entertaining fights….we also have Affliction: Trilogy (Fedor vs Barnett) coming up, WEC 42 (Torres vs Bowles) and the Strikeforce show (Carano vs Cyborg). A LOT! of MMA in August! I’m pumped and ready to go…until next time folks! Keep supporting MMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment