Thursday, July 2, 2009

UFC 100 predictions and thoughts

UFC 100 is upon us!!! I am so happy that the UFC and MMA in general has made it this far. MMA has come along way from the bare fisted, eye gouging, craziness of the early 90’s. It also amazes me to see the caliber of athletes competing in the sport today….you have guys like Georges St. Pierre, who is just incredible and lets be honest! If I told you a few years ago that Brock Lesnar would be the UFC heavyweight champion come UFC 100, you would have probably laughed in my face and called me a moron! I for one am not surprised at the fast rise to stardom for Brock Lesnar…he was already famous due to his stint in the WWE and he is a gifted athlete, dude is a monster! I can’t help but think that he was pushed into the heavyweight title picture a little soon but the heavyweight scene in the UFC is seriously lacking talent and Dana White had to do something to breathe some life into a depleted roster…that’s business!! However UFC is running the risk that Strikeforce did with Kimbo Slice and putting all their stock into a relatively unproven fighter. If Lesnar loses to Frank Mir at UFC 100, that would mean that Frank Mir has beaten him twice and then Lesnar loses his label as an unbeatable, destroyer of all fighters that the UFC is trying to promote him as. On the other hand if Lesnar annilates Frank Mir in convincing fashion then Lesnar gets propelled into a UFC cash cow with the possibilities being endless! Especially if the UFC can sign Fedor Emelianenko or Josh Bartnett (depending on the outcome of their fight at Affliction: Trilogy on August 1st)…..then you have the very interesting aspect of Kimbo Slice being a cast member on the Ultimate Fighter in September. Whether Kimbo wins the show or not, if he wins a couple fights, without a dought he is going to be signed by the UFC! Can you imagine the money to be made on a Brock Lesnar and Kimbo Slice fight?? Dana White and the UFC have said they are not interested in promoting “Sideshow circus act” fights but that is exactlly what this fight would be! Brock Lesnar a former WWE fake wrestling champion and Kimbo Slice, the street fighter, internet sensation! Both fighters are so popular that a pay per view fight between the two of them in my opinion would break any record pay per view ever set by the UFC or any fight ever! Period! I for one wouldn’t mind seeing this fight…Get your buddies together and throw in some money to split the cost of the pay per view because if everything goes down just right, we’ll all be seeing this fight! Now I’ll get to my predictions for UFC 100! Is anyone upset that Limp Bizkit won’t be taking part in the festivities?? Haha, I know I’m not..I have to admit I was a fan of Limp Bizkit back in the day but then Fred Durst got all weird and the band just tanked! They will not be missed.

The first main card fight is Yoshihiro Akiyama and Alan Belcher…I don’t know too much about either fighter, I’m looking forward to seeing it so I can get a grasp on what they are all about. Can’t really give a prediction on this fight since I don’t know them, it’s a toss up!!

Prediction: Undecided

Moving on! Next we have Jon Fitch and Paulo Thiago. I’m very excited about Jon Fitch’s return to the octagon! I thought that Fitch and Dana White’s spat over contract issues was going to be the end of Jon Fitch in the UFC. He is a really great fighter and tough as nails! I’m glad that the UFC was able to reach an agreement with him to keep him in the roster, hopefully he can bounce back from the beating he took from Georges St. Pierre! Paulo Thiago is a very game opponent but I’m going to have to go with Jon Fitch on this fight..I’m thinking it goes to a decision, with Jon Fitch being victorious!

Prediction: Jon Fitch (Judges Split Decision)

The fight between Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson has been hyped with the help of the most recent Ultimate Fighter show. I respect Michael Bisping as a fighter and I’m sure he might be a very cool guy in person but the show made him look like a real jerk. After watching Dan Henderson, reading up on him in interviews and such, he might be one of the nicest guys in MMA! Its hard not to like the guy and in my opinion he is going to school “The Count” Michael Bisping in wrestling 101. I’ve read that Bisping has been training in wrestling and is actually talking a lot of smack about being able to hang with Hendo at wrestling…I think Bisping just might be writing checks his butt can’t cash. Henderson is a tremendous wrestler and has a cast iron chin! Bisping really hasn’t been put to the test yet, he seemed to have trouble with Chris Leben when they fought in the UK and Leben (no matter how much I like the guy) is nowhere near the caliber of Dan Henderson! All I can say is Bisping better eat his wheaties on July 11th because Henderson is winning this fight and hurting Bisping in the process.

Prediction: Dan Henderson (Submission – round 2)

Next up, is the champ Georges St. Pierre and “The Pitbull” Thiago Alves for the UFC welterweight title. This is going to be a very entertaining fight! You got two guys who are in their prime and hungry! Georges St. Pierre is amazing and seems to just get better and better…I know that BJ Penn has been complaining about him greasing during their fight but truth of the matter is that Georges St. Pierre whopped that ass!! Thiago Alves is a whole different animal…Alves is going to come out swinging and swinging HARD!! If anybody stands a chance against knocking Georges St. Pierre off his thrown, it would be Thiago Alves. He is young, hungry and just an animal, he will definitely be looking for the knockout. This one is tough to call but I think I’m going to go with St. Pierre, I think it will be a brutal fight that goes the distance with St. Pierre still reigning as champion.

Prediction: Georges St. Pierre (Judges Split Decision)

Let us not forget the big fight everyone has been talking about! The UFC heavyweight champion of the world Brock Lesnar vs his nemisis Frank Mir. The last time these two guys tangled Brock was submitted in the first round with a heel lock. I don’t think Mir will catch Lesnar in something like that again because Lesnar has had a few fights under his belt now, the cage jitters are gone and he is confident! However I do think that Lesnar will slip up and get caught in a submission. Lesnar is big, powerful and extremly fast but Mir is a top notch submission artist and all it takes is one mistake by Lesnar and he’ll be tapping out again!! I’m going with Mir on this fight but he’ll take a lot of punishment from Lesnar’s size XXXL gloves to the face…YIKES

Prediction: Frank Mir (Submission – 2nd Round)

There you have it!! Those are my predictions for UFC 100…I also look for Stephan Bonnar to beat old man Mark Coleman by knockout, Jim Miller to beat Mac Danzig by split decision and C.B. Dollaway to get a much needed win against Tom Lawlor by way of submission. I pumped for July 11th and UFC 100! Buckle up MMA fans its going to be a bumpy ride but damn is it going to be fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment